March 24, 2013

Swimming pigs Twix cake




A little while ago my brother's wife sent me a link to a picture of this widely spread Kit Kat swimming pigs cake, and I figured out it was at the same time a discreet order for her own birthday cake. :)



Kit Kat bars proved to be very difficult to find in Finland, and so I was allowed to use Twix bars instead. The flavour of the cake was up to me, so I took one Twix bar, closed my eyes and chewed. Because Twix bar consists of a layer of biscuit and a layer of caramel with a chocolate coating, I decided to make it a caramel cake.

First I thought of changing the pigs to people, and make the cake a blue-watered jacuzzi tub, but this idea would have required the use of dyed white chocolate, and I didn't think white chocolate would have gone well with the Twix bars.





The pigs I made once again in advance, and in my typical way I couldn't just make simple pig figures, but had (in my own opinion) an excellent idea of adding character to the pigs with some extra props... :)








HOW TO MAKE SWIMMING PIGS TWIX CAKE:


Cut Twix bars to desired length and place on the side of a cake iced with butter cream.
If you want to make sure that the Twix bars stay in place,
you can tie a ribbon around the cake
(if the butter cream layer is thick enough, the bars should stay in place themselves)

Melt some chocolate in a double boiler or a microwave and spread the
melted chocolate on top of the cake. Add decorations and let set in the fridge.

7 comments:

  1. Your cake is adorable! I Googled 'pig reading' and found it! I hope you don't mind but I added your picture to my post with a link back here for cake directions. If you'd like for me to remove it just let me know. Have a great weekend:@)
    http://happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com/2013/08/labor-day-weekend-5-magazine-sale.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Glad you like it, and I hope other people will too! :)

      Delete
  2. love your cake... what did you use to make the pigs figure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pigs are made out of fondant. Some new designs can be found on my new page at
      http://juhlakuu.fi/en/sugar-fondant-piggies/

      Delete
  3. Haré éste adorable pastel. Y te lo haré saber

    ReplyDelete